Durante el siglo 20, el desarrollo político y social de América Latina (incluyendo a Chile) se caracterizó por la búsqueda del desarrollo, en donde los principales modelos internacionales (capitalismo y socialismo) jugaron un rol central en diversos proyectos políticos, en cuanto a la relación entre Estado y Sociedad.
This course will examine Latin America’s political and social development during the 19th, 20th and 21st centuries, paying particular attention to the Chilean case. This class is structured by two main concepts; first, democracy as the main political concept, and in a second place, the importance of the search of social development. These two concepts are going to articulate the history of the region, especially during the 20th century and the current times.
The course is divided into three modules: The first one comprehends the construction of the republican order in the 19th century and the economical insertion of the Latin American countries in the world regime. The second module focuses in the political and socio- economical life in the 20th century marked by popular movement, socialist revolutions, dictatorship, populism, human rights violations, among other issues. Finally, the course analyzes the current situation of the Latin American Region in the context of globalization. In this section, we emphasize the importance of the democracy, the role of the region in the global market and the new social movement.
– Comprehend the concept of Latin America
– Comprehend the main historical process of Latin American social and political life.
– Analyze the role different actors played in the 20th century: Political Parties, the militaries, the middle class, unions, guerrilleros, women, the youth…
– Analyze the current issues of the Latin American region in the international context.
– The idea of Latin America.
– Early Latin America: Historical origins of the Latin American society; The nation-state building process in Latin America during the 19th century; Border issues.
– Latin America in the early 20th century: Modernization and democratization process; Populism; the role of the militaries; The emergence of the Middle Class.
– Liberalism, 1929 economic crisis, socialism and welfare state in Latin America.
– Latin America during the Cold War period: Communism; US role; Dictatorships.
– The Chilean restoration of Democracy and Neoliberalism; Current social issues.